Happy Birthday Sweet Baby
June 4, 2010 § 4 Comments
Brad’s cousin Heather does something kind of neat on her blog, which is to write periodic updates about what each of her kids has been up to. It seems like a nice way to track their progress so I’m stealing the idea (thanks Heather!) and starting a monthly update for Hiram. His first birthday is on Sunday, June 6, so my updates will be on or around the 6th of each month.
Hiram: 1 Year
There are a few things Hiram loves for sure.
- Finding little holes to stick his fingers into. Holes like the ones the caterpillar makes as it crawls through each treat in “The Very Hungry Caterpillar.” He also thinks it’s funny when he sees other people’s fingers sticking out through a little hole. If your finger is too fat, don’t worry. It doesn’t even have to be all the way through. Just a dimple of a finger sticking out is enough to give him a laughing fit.
- Owls. This might be my fault since I insisted on dressing him up as an owl for Halloween but regardless, it’s something he loves. He likes to read the book, “Some Babies are Wild” and always stops on the page with the big-eyed baby owls. He points to them and says, “whoo whoo.”
- Carrot cake. He tried it for the first time last week and for once, didn’t have the patience to pinch the carrot cake between his own two fingers and eat it by himself. Instead, as I held the bit out for him to take, he grabbed my hand and shoved it, along with the carrot cake, into his mouth. Clearly, he loves carrot cake.
Although he’s very good natured, there are a few things I am pretty certain he hates.
(When Hiram doesn’t like food, he doesn’t complain. Instead of crying or throwing the food he hates, he flirts and hopes we won’t notice that he isn’t eating. I think this might be the “pleaser” in him, but this characteristic breaks my heart.)
- Anyway, avocado. One day while I was feeding him an avocado, Hiram started to cry. Not whine. Cry. Like he cries when he is SO frustrated. He opened his mouth and tilted his head back to reveal half an avocado packed onto the roof of his mouth and in both cheeks. Then he spit it out. That also broke my heart because I LOVE avocado. I almost made guacamole with it, but I didn’t.
- The Italian Leprechaun.
- Help. Hiram hates anything he can’t do himself. He hates it when I brush his teeth. He hates it when I brush his hair. He really hates it when I change his diaper. He has no patience for these kinds of nonsense activities. Unless I let him do it. He “brushed his teeth” for 20 minutes after dinner last night and right now, he is sleeping with his hair bush.