Memorial Day Weekend
May 31, 2011 § Leave a comment
Here’s the thing about having an almost 2-year old. You make a lot of memories. I don’t mean that in the sentimental way that it sounds. More like, out of necessity you have to do a lot of stuff. Even including those (glorious) moments of “self-directed play,” each single day with a toddler tends to create a memory laundry list. So, this Memorial weekend recap is going to just be a laundry list of fond memories from our weekend at the cabin.
- Watching the storm come in over the lake while (finally) working on our Christmas puzzle.
- Eating oatmeal with fresh berries and nuts and yogurt and brown sugar.
- Hearing Hiram holler through the screen porch, “Mama! Boat! Please!” and realizing he was asking for another ride in our canoe, Loonacy.
- Paddling Loonacy as hard as I could and hearing Hiram’s sweet little voice, “Faster! Faster!”
- Being the one to comfort Hike when he realized what “faster” could actually mean on a speedboat like Breezer.
- Soaking up the (hot!) sun on Breezer with Brad during nap time.
- Watching Hiram play in the sand.
- Playing “fetch” with Hiram who was pretending to be a dog.
- Waking up at 4 in the morning to the sound of rain on our cabin’s tin roof and realizing I had time to fall back asleep.
- “Skipping” (a.k.a. galloping) down the gravel road on a walk with Hike and Giki.
- Watching my husband and my son wrestle until they both had soggy heads—despite their short hair.
- Watching my dad and my son “roar” at each other like lions.
- Seeing Lady Slippers.
Here are a few photos from the weekend too