September 20, 2011 § Leave a comment
Phew! Still recovering from an exhausting weekend visiting Brad’s family in Green Bay.
Not Brad’s family’s fault.
Hiram was way too excited about the hotel to sleep that well. In fact, on Sunday morning, the entire family was up at 2:45. Yep. The only good news was that it meant we bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when Brad’s cousin and her husband picked us up at 5:30 a.m. for pit crew duty during their half marathon.
Anyway, the weekend highlight was our trip to Bay Beach, a local low-key amusement park where Hiram took his maiden voyage on a kid ride. Of course, I didn’t remember to bring our camera, so you’re going to have to settle for a few word photos.
- Hiram, letting his second cousin Emma (cute, blond 1st grader) hold his hand and walk him towards the ring of red, yellow, green and blue race cars.
- Hiram, stepping carefully and tentatively into the yellow (?) car and sitting down. Hiram letting Emma help buckle him.
- Hiram’s little blond head going around and around. His face unsure and afraid. But no tears.
- Hiram’s brown eyes scanning the parents for me. Scanning and scanning. Looking for me.
- Hiram hearing us cheer and seeing us clap. Then Hiram’s smile directed down into his chest. Just a little smile on his lips but a big one in his eyes.
- Hiram’s swagger as he walked off his first ride.
- Hiram’s continued swagger and his ever-bolder requests to try other things: the bugs, the boats, the swings, the slide, the train (and actually riding a few of these too, he changed his mind at go-time on a few separate occasions).
- Hiram’s fist pump as he hollered “All Aboard!” The three of us riding together (squished in a seat much too small for Brad, me, e-Lou and Hiram) around the little train track.