Letter to the Babysitter: Eldyn 2012
March 23, 2012 § 2 Comments
Now for Eldyn’s bedtime routine (as of today). Don’t worry, it isn’t nearly as long and unruly as Hiram’s. Luckily for us, it’s still a pretty simple process.
1) Eldyn will start to act tired sometime between 6 and 7:30. It’s in your best interest to jump on this window of tiredness.
2) Take Eldyn upstairs and change him into a night-time diaper, a long-sleeved onesie and sleep sack.
3) Turn on his white noise CD and turn off his light. Don’t forget to put the white noise CD on repeat. It’s OK to leave the lamp on at this point.
4) Give Eldyn a little bit of milk but don’t let him fall asleep. If he’s very tired, you might need to jostle him a bit to keep him from dozing off.
5) Once he stops eating, put him in his bed and tell him “It’s time to go to sleep now, Eldyn.” Personally, I try to concentrate on seeming positive and happy about this, I think it helps get him in the right frame of mind. If he starts fussing, it’s OK to give him the pacifier, but just for a minute. Make sure you take it with you when you leave the room or he’ll drop it out of his mouth when he falls asleep and then he’ll start crying.
6) When his eyes get droopy but not shut, take the pacifier, turn out the light and walk casually out of the room. He might fuss a little bit after you leave, but should be able to fall asleep within 10 minutes. If he’s still crying/fussing after that, go back in and try the pacifier trick again. You can also try rubbing his tummy.
7) I’m still feeding him at about 11 each night but if he wakes up before then, try to get him to go back to sleep without eating. Otherwise he won’t eat well at 11 and we’ll be waking up all night long.