Letter to the Babysitter – Hiram 2013 Edition
March 26, 2013 § 1 Comment
Last week, I posted Eldyn’s 2013 letter to the baby sitter. Here’s Hiram’s.
- Hiram goes to bed between 8 and 8:20 – you should start the process at 7:15. If he had it his way, he’d go to bed at 10:45 so you need to be a little bit firm with him. Make sure you have a glass of water and his blanket when you go to his room because he will ask for them!
- It’s best to talk to Hiram about his bedtime plan. It goes the most smoothly if you ask him to decide on an order for the following bedtime activities: Potty, teeth, medicine, vitamins and pajamas. Just hold him to whatever order he decides.
- Hiram decides which pajamas to wear and also if he’s going to wear a pull-up or underwear. Whatever he decides is fine.
- Once he’s done with the above activities, tell him how many stories you have time for and let him pick them out (up to 3). If he was especially slow getting ready, it’s OK to say you only have time for 1 short story. He loves stories like Dr. Seuss but they’re quite long so only agree to that if you have 20 minutes or more for stories.
- When you’re done with stories, turn out the lights and turn on his bear nightlight.
- Sing two songs and say prayers.Talk to Hiram about what he wants to pray for and if he has trouble thinking of something, just do “thank you’s” which is you and Hiram thinking of a few things you’re thankful for.
- Give him a kiss, turn on his music and leave the room.
- He likes the door slightly ajar and will often provide very specific instructions about which lights he wants on or off. He falls asleep the best if you leave the bathroom light on and all the other lights off, so just tell him that’s how it’s going to be regardless of what he suggests.
- He might call for you once or twice again after you go. It’s OK to ignore him or, if he’s very insistent, go back once to see what else he needs. If you go back once, tell him you aren’t going to come back again and that he should go to sleep.
- That’s it! Hiram says some of the best things of the day during bedtime so it’s a treat to put him down. You just need to make sure you keep him on task or it can take forever.