December 30, 2014 § Leave a comment
Surprise! It’s been a bit dicey in the novel-writing department lately. No time. No time. But still.
I remain optimistic.
The holiday quiet gave me three sacred hours to write last week and I’m looking forward to more.
Plus. I love the story. Even all that time away has not taken away the feeling I have that the story is one I will tell. Maybe even BEFORE Hiram graduates from High School. But then again, I am always optimistic in January.
Now, the facts. Which are not as sparkly as the feelings.
Here’s the good news. I am almost done with my 8 Houses character study assignment. That last little wedge is just to pull it all together in a way I can future-reference.
Here’s the other news. I have made no progress on these other two since October. No progress.
But, here’s other good news. I have time to work on it this week. AND, I know myself well enough to have NOT piled on additional writing assignments in January. January simply says, “Slush pile.” In honor of all the slush.
Next month will be the wrap-up of my 2014 personal year (from birthday to birthday) and February I will be the start of my 2015 goals. I think I already know what they are and am just a little excited.
December 29, 2014 § 1 Comment
Christmas Days 5 through 8 were tremendous! A trip to Cirque du Soleil, sledding and another fun family gathering.
Here are my happiest memories from days 5-8.
- Holding Eldyn on my lap during Cirque du Soleil. He didn’t move the entire time. Except to eat all the popcorn.
- Seeing Hiram warm up to Cirque du Soleil even though he was pretty sure it was scary. By the end he said he wants to do the Russian Swings when he grows up.
- Hearing Hiram and Eldyn insist (insist!) that they were sure the circus wasn’t over even when it was.
- Post-cirque dinner with snow falling down in Uptown
- A full day of family fun with the Barrows group on Saturday. That white elephant gift exchange hurt my stomach from laughing. I hope Grandpa Barrows enjoys the puzzle we gave him.
- Sledding on Sunday. Finally!
- Teaching Eldyn how to make a snow angel
- Seeing Dottie
- PS: Eldyn is currently wearing underwear.
Here’s the photo gallery:
Plus, here’s a bonus photo of my Christmas present from Hiram. Next time – a picture of our Barrows Family Christmas Party (Bradly, I need that photo).
December 26, 2014 § 1 Comment
Christmas just doesn’t quit around here. That’s how I like it. Here are my favorite memories so far:
- The present Hiram gave me, which he thought of and designed himself. The package included card, a picture of him posing in his pajamas in front of the bathroom closet and framed in an ornate golden frame, and last but not least, a purple (matchbox) car with a huge silver bow on top. Hands down one of my top five presents received ever.
- Eldyn singing Gloooo-oooooo-oooooo-oooooria at church. Standing on the chair and belting it out at the top of his lungs because. Well. That’s just what you do when you know the song. Obviously.
- The family dance party we had in the kitchen last night. It just felt so good to dance, sing and burn off a few cookies.
Here are pictures.
December 23, 2014 § Leave a comment
December 15, 2014 § Leave a comment
December 13, 2014 § 1 Comment
WHAT an amazing night! Megan and I did a reading and book signing at the Midtown Global Market and I couldn’t have asked for more. It was so fun to see friends and family there. AND it was so fun to read our book to a captivated and adorable little audience. It was a night I won’t forget.
Here are a few photos to give you the flavor of the fun. Why I didn’t think to get a good one of Megan and me together is beyond me.
December 12, 2014 § 1 Comment
He’s seemed like 3 for months now, but Sunday is officially his big day! Although if you ask him how old he’s going to be, he says “four.” Here are my favorite Lew trends lately:
Good Night. JK. Eldyn is testing everything and especially the concept of bed “time.” He flat-out refuses to accept it. Tuck him in and before you’re even out the door, he’s already headed towards the lamp so he can turn it on and get back to business. The other night I went into his room to find all the things from on top of my dresser arranged nicely on his bookshelf. And he was wearing my sleep mask on his head. And his blanket was under our bed. And his stool was strategically placed for ready-access to my jewelry. And he was wearing a totally different outfit.
Christmas Wonder: This is such a fun Christmas with Lew. I don’t think he actually remembers last year so this year it’s like he’s experiencing everything for the very first time. I first realized this when we told him what we were planning to do with our Christmas tree. His response: “Nooooo! We don’t put a tree in the house!”
What? Eldyn has learned to say “what?” like this. He says it all the time and although it’s actually quite rude-sounding, it’s still very hard not to laugh. Especially when he says it as an answer to very everyday things.
“Eldyn, do you want an apple?”
“Eldyn, please put your coat on.”