Bee a Reader!
February 28, 2015 § 1 Comment
Hiram’s in the middle of his Read-a-Thon at school. I realize now that this happens in all schools across the country but before I had a kid in kindergarten I didn’t really understand that the Read-a-thon is kind of a big deal. It’s awesome. Of course it is. But it caught me off guard. Here are all things I’ve failed at doing *well* during our first try at the Read-A-Thon.
- Helping Hiram find time to read for 60 minutes a day and writing it all down
- Getting pledges
- Making sure his Bee a Reader! T-Shirt was clean and remembering to get it on his body on specific days. See also: pajama day.
- Being home and reading in case the principal calls
- Making a reading corner AND taking a picture of it AND sending it to school
- Not judging the theme. Bee a Reader. Like a buzzy bee. I just keep thinking, “Bzzzz. Typo.” Which is probably why I am not in charge of thinking of a fun theme that kids will love enough to read for.
I’m actually exaggerating. We have so far done OK and I am coming around on the theme too. It’s just that every morning I wake up and think, OMG! The Read-A-Thon! What are we missing! If you know me, you know this is absolutely NOT how I like to operate. And so I’m stressed out about it.
Next year. Next year we’ll kill it.
Also, let me know if you’d like to sponsor him. We’re “collecting pledges” through Wednesday.